Landscaping – An Art Form Urbane Excels At
Your residential landscaping project doesn’t have to be daunting. Or overwhelming for that matter. Perhaps, you’re in need of a landscaping makeover to an existing yard. Maybe, landscaping for new home design construction. Or, upkeep and maintenance, Whatever the case, get advice, tips and a summary of what to expect from pros. They should also be able to help you with the latest exterior and interior design trends.
From Xeriscaping and areas to Aquascaping in wet ones, the Urbane group of professionals and associates have the landscaping experience and solutions you need. Consequently, that’s why we’ve been trusted by more than 6,500 happily satisfied past clients, since 1971.
Therefore, it consists of getting together to complete some research. At this meeting, we’ll do some idea gathering and preliminary planning. During the consultation phase, the Client will work closely with a Landscape Designer or L A (Landscape Architect). These specialists are professionally trained. Consequently, they specialize in the domain of residential landscape design. Jointly, we’ll address all the design considerations.
Most noteworthy, is important factors such as the desired usage and purpose for your yard. These need to be clearly determined. We’ll discuss and identify the features you’d like included. Secondly, which landscape style is to be utilized. Landscaping design phase concludes with the Client getting a fully completed Landscape Master Plan. It’s similar to a set of plans for a new home because it lays everything out on paper and video.
That landscaping master plan is the ‘blueprint’ for what has been decided upon. And, what is to come. Clearly identified, are all the locations and various zones of the landscape that will follow. Hardscaping materials and Outdoor Living features like as an Outdoor Kitchen, will be identified and drawn. Of course, all the plant materials together with the layout of them, is illustrated in a Planting Plan too.
The landscape construction phase consists of the actual building of the new landscape, based on the Landscape Master Plan.
Most independent landscape designers will sub-contract out all the construction work to a landscaping construction contracting company who’s specialty is in residential landscaping. Often, on simpler projects, one landscape contractor will complete all of the construction installations. On more sophisticated and complex landscaping projects, sometimes numerous specialty trades and sub-contractor companies will be involved, each specializing in a different domain.
At Urbane Residential Group, a skilled, veteran Project Manager will be assigned to your landscaping project to oversee everything and report to you the Client. During the landscaping construction process, our landscaping designer, project manager and all the landscaping contractor specialty trades work together closely. Fulfilling the Client’s dream and breathing life into the landscaping, is paramount. It all happens during the landscaping design phase, while your master plan is being perfected.
Value Of Professional Landscaping
Of particular importance, at the end of the landscaping construction and cleanup phase, all installed elements will be tested to ensure all perform according to the manufacturers specs. At this point, your yard and property will have undergone a transformation from its old condition to a new dream space. Therefore, it’s ready for you to enjoy as you entertain family and friends.
A landscaping project can seem daunting, but it does not have to be. The Urbane landscaping professionals have a tried, tested and perfected process in place, to remove the stress and worry for you. Sometimes it is referred to as ‘Analysis and Inventory’. Essentially, this means analyzing what you have to work with already, and, what new additions are wanted or will be added.
The Urbane Landscaping Designer will aid you greatly by breaking it all down into 7 main landscaping category considerations. Therefore, using these as the rough template for your landscaping design planning, you’ll get on your way easily and efficiently. Thus, saving both time and money. Plus, the added benefit of getting the precise yard you’ve always dreamed of having.
Property Landscaping for Purpose and Usage
Before beginning a landscaping project, one of the very first things to give consideration to, is how you intend to use your outdoor spaces. Consequently, you the client, together with your assigned Urbane Landscaping Designer will determine the desired purposes of your ideal yard.
Factors that are frequently given consideration are Form, Function and Style. These categories will identify a number of factors. Therefore, all of them need to be considered carefully. Whether or not, they will all be utilized is critical, before making any additional major landscaping decisions.
A summary of the outdoor spaces considerations should include the following…
- Entertaining family or friends
- Barbequing, cooking and dining
- Swimming or Hot Tub Spa
- Children playing
- Hard-working adults relaxing
- Growing your own food, or gardening for folks with a passion and Green-thumb
Landscaping for Adults, Children and Pets
You’ll also need to consider who will be using the property. It makes no sense for example, to involve a lot of time with play area planning, if there are no younger children at home. So, who will be using the space? Will your landscaping require areas to accommodate young children? What about pets?
Or, will it be largely a retreat for adults or area for outdoor entertaining? Very often, children and pets govern and dictate some of the major landscaping decisions being made.
Environmental and Climatic Considerations in Landscaping
Together, we’ll need to ‘take an inventory’ at your property. We’ll want to give consideration to some of the property factors, such as…
- Where are the sunny areas and how will these be used?
- Where are the shady areas and how will these be used?
- What Views does the property have and how will these be showcased?
- Where do the prevailing winds come from and how will be overcome these?
- How does surface water act, flow and drain on the property? What considerations do we need to give?
- What non-negotiable Control points need to be considered in the landscape design? (e.g. Grades, existing trees, doorways, driveway, etc.)
Working with Soil Types Nutritional Values in Landscaping
Of particular importance, is some attention being paid to your soil types and the nutrient values of it. You’ll need to be certain that the soils on your property have the appropriate nutrients to support and grow the plant materials you wish to have, and ultimately select. Therefore, soil analysis is a critical factor in any landscaping project.
The soil type, which could be sandy, clay, black loam or rocky, will govern which plants you can grow and where. Your Urbane Landscape Designer can complete some soil tests so that the Landscape Construction Team can amend the soil as required.
The Planting Zones in Landscaping
Plus, another key factor to consider in selecting your plants are the climatic planting zones. The planting zone in which you live is largely determined by climatic conditions. Extreme cold or heat, together with rainfall and growing season are given heavy considerations. Consequently, having knowledge of your planting zone will determine the plant materials you should or can select.
Again, your Urbane Landscape Designer will be instrumental in this process. Therefore, he or she can help you select plants that are appropriate for your planting zone location. Thus, making it much more likely for them to survive and thrive. Consequently, if you’re curious about your planting zone, you can visit the online guide at the National Gardening Association.
Landscaping for the Hydro-zones
Another important part of what plants you select and use, will undoubtedly be determined by the behavior of surface water in your yard. In areas where water tends to pool, you’ll want to select and group plants that need or are resistant to a lot of water. Various cultivars of Willow, are good examples.
In areas where water drains quickly on the other hand, you’ll want to select and do plant groupings that like or are resistant to dry conditions. Perhaps, various Cacti are an example. This process is commonly referred to as, planting in accordance with your property hydro-zones.
Landscaping and Styling the Gardens
What about the aesthetic appeal and style of your landscape and gardens? Serious thought and consideration needs to be also given to the interior and exterior style of your home. We need to create synergy. Therefore, a symbiotic relationship and unity between the indoor and outdoor living spaces in your landscaping is very important.
The best plan to create synergistic outdoor spaces, is to reflect upon your desired lifestyle, personality and needs. Then, create an environment that makes you feel relaxed and happy to be home. Some inspiration examples can be found in Garden Styles. There you will find a taste of ‘water’, ‘modern’, ‘cottage’, ‘Japanese’, and ‘desert’, to give you some guidance and inspiration.
Designing Your Landscaping to Fulfill the Dream
Get some ideas for the purpose, features and style of your landscaping from books, magazines or perhaps the internet.
- Complete the Urbane Landscaping Design questionnaire and give it to your Urbane Landscape Designer
- Give some thought to your financial comfort level and a rough budget for what you wish to have done
- Arrange an Office meeting with your new Urbane Landscape Designer
- Organize a Site Consultation with him/her to complete a Site Assessment
- At the preliminary planning meeting, be open, honest and transparent, to ensure your success
- Plan for having several design review meetings
- Approve and sign-off on the final Landscape master plan
The Landscaping Construction and Installation
- Based on the Landscape Design Master Plan, make adjustments to your budget
- Plan for the demolition and removal of unwanted and unnecessary items in your yard, as this is messy
- Grading is messy but essential to ensure proper drainage and the marriage of hardscapes with softscapes
- If there is going to be a Swimming Pool, there will be a lot of excavation and construction
- We’ll have to run in all the underground utilities, such as sub-surface drainage pipe, water, gas and electricity
- It’s a good idea to install an automated Irrigation and Fertilization System to care for all the Plant Materials
- Construction could include retaining walls for bank retainment and the harmonization of grade changes, seating, etc.
- Another major undertaking is the construction and installation of the additional hardscapes, such as Patios, Pathways and Decks
Most noteworthy, we’ll perfect the installation of any outdoor living elements, such as Outdoor Kitchens, Lighting, Fire-Pit, Play-Set, etc., as well.
- After all that is done, now comes the Planting – the ‘icing on the cake’ so to speak – together with all the softscapes
- With the installations completed, everything related to the systems will now be tested – Irrigation, gas and electric appliances, etc.
- Lastly, comes the final clean-up, walk-through with the Client, Punch-List preparation and fine tuning
Plenty of landscape design & construction information is available from our Firm. At Urbane Residential Group, we are your neighborhood professionals who are here to help. Therefore, you can make an inquiry to get the information you need.
The big orange button below is intended for a variety of inquiries. Just click it to be taken to our online inquiry form. Once there, simply complete and submit it.
One of our experts will reply to your request within a short period of time. When you have a question, or would like some additional information about landscaping, please feel free to use it. Thanks a million!